Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Better late than never...

I promised myself that I would start a blog to document my first year of teaching.  Some things would be funnier to look back on than they actually were at the time. However, people neglect to tell you that during your first year of teaching you will have to add "take a shower" to your already mile long to-do list.  From what I can figure, the first year of teaching can be compared to the first year of motherhood.  Now, I have never been a mother but I was a nanny for a two year old and four year old for a whole summer.  Here are a few things that I believe motherhood and teaching have in common:
  • You cannot go to the bathroom by yourself. (They will find you.)
  • You spend more time microwaving ravioli and opening milk than you do eating lunch.
  • You clean up after everyone. (Including adults.)
  • You spend a considerable amount of time asking yourself "What was I thinking?"
In less than a month I will begin my second year of teaching second grade.  I keep telling myself that since I survived the first year, I am pretty much on my way to winning the Arthur Ashe Courage Award.  I have also applied for a job at the local community college teaching remedial English. I figure if I can teach 23 seven year olds the difference between a synonym and an antonym, I can teach  people my age how to write a complete sentence.  In the midst of all the chaos I will be getting married in November.  If someone happens to find my sanity and or dignity laying by the side the road, please keep it in a safe place until June.  

I will be blogging about teaching, food, marriage, and everything else that makes up my world. I would say that I hope you enjoy, but this isn't about you- its about me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment